Nutty Bacon Salad
- 2 lbs Hitchcock Farms® Brussels sprouts, small and firm
- 12 thick slices of hearty, smoked bacon
- 2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups hazelnuts, lightly smashed and toasted
- 3lemons, 2 juiced, one cut into 8 thin slices for garnish
- 1/2 cuprice wine vinegar
- 2 tbspsugar
- 1/2 cupmild, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbspfresh thyme leaves, stems removed
- coarsely ground black pepper and kosher salt
- Wash the Brussels sprouts and peel off any brown leaves.
- Shred with the mandolin on its finest setting and discard the stems. Place in a stainless steel or glass bowl and refrigerate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until browned but not to a crisp (about 6-8 minutes). Alternately, you can bake it on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Transfer the bacon onto a cutting board, pat dry with paper towels, and cut into lardons (1/2- inch squares).
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- To assemble the salad, remove the Brussels sprouts from the refrigerator, add dressing and toss gently but thoroughly.
- Add the bacon, almonds, and hazelnuts and toss gently.
- Transfer salad to the serving bowl or individual serving plates. Garnish with lemon slices.
Almost everything’s better with bacon and it’s a perfect complement to Garden Hearts® Brussels sprouts. Add some nuts for texture and everyone will become Brussels sprouts lovers.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA