- 4 Garden Hearts® Jumbo Romaine Hearts
- 2 10 oz. country-loaf style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb Fontina cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 yellow, meaty heirloom tomato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 red, meaty heirloom tomato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 lb smoked Black Forest ham, 1/2 inch (or smaller) cubes
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley for garnish
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Jumbos, rinse under cold, running water and let air-dry. Cut crosswise into 1-inch strips, place in a large bowl and chill.
- Toss the bread cubes with 1/2 cup of olive oil and spread on a large baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees F, stirring once or twice, until crisp and lightly brown on the outside but still soft on the inside (about 15 minutes); let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Add the cheese, tomatoes, celery, onion and parsley and toss. Add the croutons, toss to coat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add Garden Hearts and ham and toss salad, adding a parsley sprig for garnish, and serve.
The delicate texture of the Garden Hearts® are a good counterpoint to the robust bread, ham and cheese.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA