- 4 Garden Hearts® Jumbo Romaine Hearts
- 16 ozs thinly sliced prosciutto di Parma
LEMON HERB DRESSING
- 1/4 cupwhite wine vinegar
- 1/4 cuprice vinegar
- 3 ozfresh lemon juice
- 1 tbspgarlic, chopped
- 1/4 cupred onion, chopped
- 1 tbspfresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbspfresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tbspfresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbspfresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 tbspfresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 cupolive oil
- 2 1/2 cupvegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 21/4-ounce packets of active dry yeast
- 2 cupwarm water (110 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 4 cupbread flour
- 2 tspsalt
- 1/4 tspdried oregano
- 1/4 tspdried thyme
- 1/4 tspdried basil
- 3 tspwhite sugar
- 4 tbspolive oil
- Cut 1/4″ from stems of the Garden Heart Jumbos. Keeping the leaves intact, rinse well, inside and out, under cold running water. Drip-dry completely. Cut in half lengthwise and chill.
- Combine dressing ingredients in blender, slowly adding oil to emulsify, and refrigerate.
- The breadstick dough is similar to pizza dough. Mix yeast with warm water, reserving a small amount of water for use if the dough is too dry.
- Add flour, salt, herbs and sugar to yeast mixture, adding additional water as needed to make a soft dough. Knead thoroughly for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil and continue kneading, folding the dough ball in half and then quarters, over and over again for another 5 minutes (or 100 cycles). Kneading by hand is laborious, but very important and it is better to over-knead than under-knead. When done, the ball will no longer stick to your hands and will spring back easily. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch wide rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick, cut into one-inch strips, twist and place on a greased baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, until golden brown, and allow breadsticks to cool.
- Just before serving, wrap the breadsticks with prosciutto.
- Place the Garden Hearts halves (2 per person) onto a plate or platter; drizzle with lemon herb dressing and top crosswise with breadsticks.
This elegantly simple, Italian-style salad showcases the fresh crispness and delicate flavor of Garden Hearts®.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA