Salmon Tartare Bites
- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 24 ozs fresh salmon filet, center-cut, skinned and boned
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 4 tbsps shallots, minced
- 3 tbsps chives, minced
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs, hard-cooked
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 2 tbsps very small capers, drained
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tbsps creme fraiche
- 24 small sprigs of chervil
- 24 thin, toasted baguette slices
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Petites and separate into individual leaves. Rinse under cold, running water. Pat gently dry with paper towels, wrap in clean cloth or paper towel, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Trim and discard any dark portions and cut salmon into 1/4-inch or smaller cubes. Place in a small bowl and add kosher salt, shallots, 2 tablespoons chives and the olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning, as necessary.
- Separate egg whites from the yolks and push separately through a coarse grater. Keeping them separate, chop each until finely minced.
- Using the smallest, inner leaves of the hearts, cut 24 of them to an even length of 5 inches and place flat on a serving platter.
- Using two tablespoons, create 24 salmon quenelles and place one on each lettuce leaf. Top with 1/4 teaspoon each of chopped egg white, egg yolk, red onion, chives and capers, arranging them colorfully. Sprinkle each quenelle with a few drops of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt.
- For a final touch, top with a petite dollop of creme fraiche and place chervil sprigs on each serving. Serve 8 per plate with baguette toasts.
The crisp Garden Hearts® and interesting flavors of the Asian noodle salad will make this a very enjoyable dish.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA