Garden Hearts® with
- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 6 small zucchini
- 4 medium yellow summer squash
- 3 small eggplants
- 2 medium onions
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup balsamic or Italian salad dressing
- Cut a quarter-inch from the base of the Garden Hearts® and rinse well under cold running water. Quarter each romaine heart to form spears; air dry completely, and chill.
- Wash vegetables and allow them to air dry. Remove ends from the zucchini, summer squash, and eggplant. Cut lengthwise into quarter-inch slices. Peel and cut onion crosswise into quarter-inch thick slices.
- Place sliced vegetables on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Turn and repeat on the other side. Let the vegetables sit for 20 minutes to absorb seasoning.
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, sprinkle a quarter cup of Parmesan cheese to cover the bottom of the pan. Melt cheese until it becomes a golden color. With a spatula flip the cheese, brown the other side and quickly slide onto a cutting board. While still warm, cut into 6 wedges. Allow wedges to completely cool and harden. Repeat one more time with the remaining cheese.
- Heat a barbeque grill to medium temperature and brush it with a small amount of olive oil. Grill the seasoned vegetables, turning once and watching at all times. Allow them to get nice grill-marks, which will take approximately 8-10 minutes, depending upon the heat.
- Remove vegetables from the grill and cut into one-inch segments. Place the vegetables in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and lightly toss. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange Garden Hearts on the plate and top with pork tenderloin, sliced on a slight bias. Drizzle with marinade and garnish with orange zest strips.
- Place Garden Hearts® leaves on the serving plates and drizzle with the dressing. Add a generous spoonful of the grilled vegetables at the base of the leaves and then “spike” the vegetables with the Parmesan wedges. Best served when the vegetables are still warm.
Garden Hearts® romaine hearts bring a crisp, refreshing complement to the hearty grilled vegetables.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA