with Warm Potato
and Sausage Salad
- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Hearts of Romaine
- 2 lbs medium-size, boiling potatoes
- 3/4 cups white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 4 kielbasa sausage or sausage of your choice
- 4 tbsps chopped parsley
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Petites, rinse under cold, running water and separate into individual leaves. Using a half Petite for each plate, arrange in standing fan at the back of the bowl.
- Wash potatoes, leaving the skin on, and place in a medium-size pot. Cover with lightly salted hot water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are cooking saute’ diced onions and garlic in vegetable oil until translucent. Remove from the heat and add the celery seeds, sugar, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar and chicken stock or broth. Whisk until blended; keep warm.
- Drain the boiled potatoes and let them cool until you can handle them. Peel the skin off or leave it on, as desired, and hand-slice 1/4-inch into a mixing bowl. Pour warm dressing over the potatoes and toss very gently, taking care not to mush the potato slices; keep warm.
- While heating up a large, nonstick pan, slice the sausage on a bias into 1/2-inch wheels, then saute’ over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and add to the potato salad.
- Place an equal amount of the warm potato and sausage salad in the bowl and sprinkle with the chopped parsley and place a sprig for garnish. Serve warm.
My European heritage comes through on this recipe with rustic, exciting flavors and the Garden Hearts® Hearts of Romaine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA