- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 2 lbs fresh calamari with tentacles
- 2 tbsps grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsps fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 lemon
- fresh parsley
- 4 tbspolive oil
- 2 tbspred wine vinegar
- 3 tbspparsley, chopped
- 3shallots, finely sliced
- 1 cupgreen olives, sliced
- Cut off the Iceberg Babies® stem, rinse under cold water, and allow to drip-dry completely.
- Cut a generous slice from the bottom (stem side) of the lettuce, about 1/4 of the head, and remove some of the inner leaves to create a bowl.
- Chiffonade removed lettuce and set aside.
- Clean calamari tubes and tentacles; cut tubes into rings.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a large saute’ pan, add calamari, and saute’ for one minute.
- Add garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper, and continue saute’ing for another 2 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer/reduce for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, and drain off the liquid.
- Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, parsley, shallots and green olives; toss well with the calamari and let marinate a minimum of 3 hours.
- Place the Iceberg Babies® lettuce bowl on a bed of lettuce chiffonade to stabilize the plate and fill with the calamari.
- Garnish with lemon slice and a sprig of fresh parsley.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA