Iceberg Babies® with
Grilled and Dilled Shrimp
- 4 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (including the greens)
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 sprigs dill, for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 slices for garnish
- Remove outer leaves of Iceberg Babies® and rinse head under cold running water. Allow to air dry and cut into four quarters.
- Remove the center leaves of the Iceberg Babies® and cut the removed leaves into a fine julienne. Set aside and chill.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the lime juice, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and Dijon mustard to make a marinade.
- Place the shelled shrimp in a resalable plastic bag, add the marinade, close the bag and shake well to thoroughly coat the shrimp with the marinade. Refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread onto bamboo or metal skewers. Grill on both sides over hot coals (or high heat if using a grill pan) until pink. Remove from the grill, separate from the skewer and chill.
- For the dressing, combine the mayonnaise and cream in a medium-size mixing bowl, whisking them together until creamy. Add the julienned lettuce, chopped dill, celery, green onions and pepper.
- Mix well and gently incorporate the grilled shrimp. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- For presentation, place two Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies® quarters on the serving plate, top with the grilled shrimp salad and garnish with lemon slice and sprig of dill.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA