Iceberg Babies® Inside-Out Shrimp Cocktail
- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 32 large shrimp, tail on, peeled, and deveined
- 2 small red peppers, washed and seeded
- 2 small red onions, diced
- 2 lemons, peeled and thinly sliced or cubed (seedless)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 cupolive oil
- 2 tbspred wine vinegar
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbspdry mustard
- 1/2 tspdry mustard
- 1 tspsalt
- 1/2 tspblack pepper, coarsely cracked
- 2 tbspparsley, finely chopped
- Cut off the stem of the Iceberg Babies®, rinse under cold water, and allow to air-dry completely. Cut off the lettuce cap and scoop out the center to create a bowl. Finely julienne the removed lettuce and refrigerate until ready for use.
- Combine water, wine and bay leaves in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, reduce heat, cover and simmer/steam until shrimp are pink on the outside and just cooked in the center (approximately 3 – 5 minutes depending on size). Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large mixing bowl, reserving the shrimp broth.
- Add red peppers to the shrimp broth and simmer for one minute. Remove peppers with a slotted spoon, cool and julienne, setting aside a few red pepper strips for garnish.
- Add red peppers, onions, and peeled sliced lemon to the shrimp.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine marinade ingredients, whisk together well, and toss with shrimp mixture. Refrigerate for four hours.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and set aside. Mix the julienned lettuce with the marinade and place the salad mixture inside each lettuce bowl. Perch four shrimps, tail up, on top of the Iceberg Babies®. Garnish with lemon wedges and red pepper strips.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA