Korean Beef Cups
- 1 tbsp Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 5 servings Korean grilled beef
- 6 servings Korean slaw
- 4 portions crispy fried rice noodles
KOREAN BEEF & MARINADE
- 2 1/2 lbboneless beef chuck short ribs, cut into 1/4″ thick slices
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 1/2carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2Asian pear, grated including the skin
- 1/2 tbspginger, minced
- 1/4 cupbrown sugar
- 1/4 tbspblack pepper, freshly ground
- 4 ozsoy sauce
- 1 ozsesame oil
- 1 tspKorean chili flakes (may substitute regular chili flakes)
- 1 ozsake, white wine, or a teaspoon of vinegar
- 2 ozcola soft drink
- 1/2 lbNapa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cupred bell pepper, fine julienne cut
- 1/4 cupcilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cupgreen onion, chopped
- 1/2 cupcarrots, finely julienne cut
- 1 cuppea sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tbspred bell peppers, brunoise cut
- 2 tbspcilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cupbrown sugar
- 6 ozsoy sauce
- 2 ozsesame oil
- 2 tbspwhite sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tbspblack sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbspginger, micro-planed
- 1 tbspchili garlic sambal
- 1packet rice noodles
- 6 ozcanola oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients together and whisk well. Add the sliced chuck short ribs and hand toss well. Cover and marinate for 48 hours. You can also place the beef and marinade in a large zip-lock bag.
- Mix slaw dressing ingredients and refrigerate. Slaw can be prepared a day ahead.
- Prepare slaw vegetables, place in a resealable bag and refrigerate. This can also be prepared a day ahead.
- Rinse the Iceberg Babies®, with cold water, let drip-dry and cut into quarters. Cut out the center leaves leaving two or three of the outermost leaves, keeping the stem-hold intact to create small bowls. Cut the remaining lettuce into a fine julienne. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Grill the short rib slices over medium-high heat for two to three minutes per side, brushing with some of the marinade as you go. Ribs should be well grill- marked, glazed and cooked through. Remove ribs from the grill and let rest for five minutes.
- Combine slaw ingredients and julienned lettuce in a large stainless steel bowl and toss with dressing.
- Add beef at the last second and toss gently.
- Fill each of the lettuce quarters with the Korean slaw and beef mixture. Plate three Iceberg Babies cups per order.
- For garnish, fry rice noodles in a shallow pan until crisp. Arrange cups next to a bed of noodles.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA