- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 1/2 cup ground roasted rice
- 8 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 8 limes, juiced
- 8 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 8 tsps oriental fish sauce
- 8 tsps oyster sauce
- 1 bunch mint leaves, washed and torn into pieces,
- (reserving a few whole leaves for garnish)
- 4 tsps dry chili peppers
- 8 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 small firm tomatoes (such as Roma), diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- Cut off the stem of the Iceberg Babies®, rinse under cold water, and allow to drip dry completely. Cut a generous cap from the top, removing about 1/3 of the head, and clear out the center to create a bowl. Arrange the cap leaves next to the lettuce bowl on a large plate and set aside.
- Brown uncooked rice in a dry pan, stirring so it will not burn. Grind in a blender to produce a texture similar to semolina or fine bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Finely mince chicken breast and saute’ in a wok or large non-stick skillet with little or no oil.
- Add lime juice, shallots, fish sauce and oyster sauce. Stir constantly over medium heat until chicken is cooked.
- Toss in mint leaves, chili peppers, and green onions; sprinkle with ground rice.
- Fill lettuce bowl with the cooked chicken mixture.
- Garnish with mint, cucumber, lime, tomato and roasted ground rice.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA