Tropical Chicken Salad
- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 12 ozs plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsps white sugar
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red chili pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 red grapefruit or pomelos, peeled and sectioned
- 4 cups pre-cooked chicken breast meat, shredded
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut meat, shredded
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- Remove outer leaves of Iceberg Babies and rinse head under cold running water. Allow to air dry.
- Cut a generous slice from the bottom of the Babies, removing about a quarter of the head. Remove some of the inner leaves to create a bowl; julienne the removed leaves and set aside.
- For the dressing, blend together the yogurt, lime juice, sugar, shallots, chili pepper, mint, and cilantro in a small bowl and chill well.
- In a large bowl toss together the sectioned grapefruit or pomelos, chicken breast and coconut.
- Ensure all ingredients are well chilled, add dressing and toss gently. To plate, place the fine lettuce julienne at the center of the plate and top with the Iceberg Babies bowl. Fill the bowl generously with the chicken salad mixture and garnish with a few grapefruit sections and sprigs of cilantro.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA