Iceberg Babies® Wraps with Spicy Grilled Tofu
- 4 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 2 16 oz packages firm tofu, water-packed, drained
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lemon grass, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsps low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili paste with garlic
- 2 tbsps peanut oil
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 tbsps dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup small mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- Remove outer leaves and rinse Iceberg Babies®under cold running water and allow to air-dry. Remove core and discard. Carefully separate individual leaves, starting with the center and pulling them gently out, one by one. Refrigerate until use.
- Cut tofu into 12 half-inch slices.
- Place tofu slices between several heavy-duty paper towels. Place a cutting board on top and let the paper towels draw the moisture away for 20 to 30 minutes. (The tofu is ready when a slice is easily bendable without tearing.) Place tofu in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Combine lime juice, honey, lemon grass, soy sauce, pepper, garlic and chili paste in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook one minute, stirring well to dissolve honey.
- Pour mixture evenly over the tofu, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for one hour.
- Prepare your barbecue grill.
- Remove tofu from the marinade and coat lightly with peanut oil, reserving the marinade.
- Place tofu on hot grill and cook until each side is golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Using the Iceberg Babies®as a wrap, place one slice of tofu onto each Iceberg Babies®leaf, sprinkle with cilantro, peanuts, mint, basil and julienned carrot. Wrap lettuce leaf around the topping and secure with a tooth pick. Serve with the reserved marinade.
The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA