Last Updated on
With a new year on the horizon, it’s a good time to try something new. Introducing roasted purple brussels sprouts, a fun foray from the traditional green sprouts and just as tasty.
Every restaurant chef appreciates easy-prep dishes that customers love. Every home chef enjoys quick-cook ideas that serve up delicious flavors. Purple brussels sprouts deliver with this recipe that keeps it quick and simple. As a bonus, we’ve included a few pointers that help you bring out the best in this vibrant veggie.
Roasted Sprouts Are Healthy Sprouts
Purple brussels sprouts can be prepared in a variety of ways, however this recipe’s oven roasting technique is a favorite with dietitians because it doesn’t compromise the sprouts’ nutritional value. Oven roasting increases the bioavailability of important antioxidants in brussels sprouts, versus other methods like boiling or microwaving.
The Oven Brings Out Their Flavor
Purple sprouts are sweeter than green brussels sprouts, but oven roasting doesn’t diminish their flavor. This cooking method caramelizes natural sugars and brings out the veggie’s slightly nutty taste. Roasting also gives the sprouts a crispy outer texture that compliments their leafy tenderness.
Presentation of Purple Sprouts Is Impressive
The deep purple brussels sprout leaves retain their pretty color even after an over roast, earning you extra presentation points. They’re beautiful in a favorite serving bowl on the dinner table, or make enticing sides next to restaurant entrees. The colorful sprouts are also irresistible as casual snacks and easy appetizers.
The Pairing Possibilities Are Endless
Roasted purple brussels sprouts serve as savory sides for beef, poultry and seafood dishes. The inspiration doesn’t stop with entrees. Consider these delicious pairing possibilities.
• Garnish gourmet burgers with chopped, roasted sprouts.
• Top your favorite gluten-free vegetarian pizza.
• Serve as a crunchy finger food with a spicy aioli.
• Drizzle skewered roasted sprouts with pomegranate molasses.
• Toss with penne pasta, pancetta and grated parmesan.
Simple Roasted Purple Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Start to finish: 40 minutes (15 minutes prep time, 25 minutes cooking time)
1 1/2 lbs. purple brussels sprouts
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Set aside a large rimmed sheet pan for roasting.
- Wash and trim purple brussels sprouts. Slice off bottom stems, remove any loose leaves, and cut sprouts in half lengthwise. Drain in a colander, pat dry, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk olive oil and salt. Add dry brussels sprouts, toss to coat, and spread on a sheet pan.
- Arrange sprouts cut side down in a single layer. Allow space between sprouts for even crisping.
- Roast on an upper oven rack for 25 minutes or until sprouts begin to brown.
- Remove crisp sprouts from the oven, and serve hot in a large bowl.
Tip: Reheat leftover sprouts in a 350 F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Cover with foil to prevent over-browning.
Check Back With Us Soon
Whether you’re running a commercial kitchen or firing up the oven at home, we know you’ll enjoy our recipe for roasted purple brussels sprouts. Check back with us for more fresh and inspiring recipes featuring the latest premium produce grown right here at Hitchcock Farms.
Dan Holt is an experienced produce professional who started in the industry as a quality assurance inspector in the early 1990s and leads sales at Hitchcock Farms as Vice President. Prior to joining Hitchcock Farms, Dan enjoyed success in organic, specialty and conventional produce and with independent operators, regional and national chains in North America and abroad. Dan continues his passion in produce through collaborative inspiration and promoting healthy and sustainable food.