Hitchcock Farms® Citrusy Brussels Sprouts
with Parmesan Cheese
- 2 lbs Hitchcock Farms® Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsps minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 4 tbsps extra-virgin or lemon-seasoned olive oil
- coarse kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 lemons thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash the Brussels sprouts, removing outermost leaves as needed, and trim off the stem. Keep the good leaves that fall away from the sprouts, as they can be turned into crispy chips when baked.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts and garlic in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Arrange Brussels sprouts in a single layer in a cast-iron frying pan or large baking pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Place the pan on the top rack of the oven to bake. After 10 minutes, stir the sprouts to coat them in oil and allow them to brown to a consistent color.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, stir again and add the lemon slices, spreading them evenly for consistent baking.
- After a total of 30 minutes, taste the sprouts for tenderness. Once tender, stir the sprouts and lemon slices together and sprinkle with cheese. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve, hot out of the oven, directly in the cooking vessel or transfer onto a serving platter.
Garden Hearts® Brussels sprouts are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. The bright citrus note, along with the complex flavors and texture of Parmesan, put a delightful new spin on the traditional boiled offering.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA