Fruit & Nut Salad
- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 4 ripe pears, firm
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cups raspberry vinegar
- 2 tbsps prepared mustard
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsps poppy seeds
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Petites and separate into individual leaves. Rinse well under cold running water. Air dry completely and chill.
- Cut apples and pears into thin slices and toss lightly in lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Drain excess lemon juice and add cranberries and toasted walnuts to the fruit mixture, tossing lightly.
- Fry the bacon in a saute’ pan or cook in the microwave until medium soft.
- To make the dressing, combine sugar, raspberry vinegar, mustard, salt, oil and onion in a blender or food processor and mix until emulsified.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the poppy seeds and incorporate into dressing and chill, reserving one tablespoon of poppy seeds for garnish.
- To serve, bundle leaves from half of one Garden Hearts Petite head into a bouquet and wrap with a slice of bacon. Place the bouquet in the center of the plate standing upright. Toss the fruit mixture with the dressing and generously spoon around the base of the romaine bouquet. Garnish salad with a sprinkle of poppy seeds.
Garden Hearts® with pears, apples, nuts and cranberries are the perfect fall combination of flavors and texture.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA