Hawaiian Ahi Salad
- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 1 1/2 lb ahi tuna, cut into1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/4 cup white onion, minced
- 1/4 cup green onion, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsps wakame seaweed
- 1 tbsp macadamia nuts, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- 4 tbsps mayonnaise
- 8 sprigs cilantro leaves
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Petites, separate into individual leaves and rinse well under cold, running water. Air dry completely and chill.
- Gently combine the ahi tuna cubes, minced onion, green onion, ginger, seaweed, macadamia nuts, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a mixing bowl. Cover and chill for at least one hour, to allow the flavors develop.
- Combine wasabi paste and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl; pour into a clean squirt bottle or small, disposable pastry bag.
- To serve, arrange leaves of half of one Garden Hearts head in a star pattern at the center of a plate. Spoon 1/8 of the ahi mixture into the middle of the romaine star. Repeat for each serving.
- Drizzle the wasabi mixture over the tuna salad and garnish with a dry nori seaweed ribbon.
Garden Hearts® give the ahi salad a crisp and flavorful base. This appetizer is a tradition of Hawaiian cuisine, served during the hot summer months. It’s especially refreshing as a mini-entree, cold, tasty and good for you too!
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA