- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 24 ozs Creamy goat cheese
- 8 slices pancetta
- 2 cups Walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 8 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cup Sun-dried tomatoes, cut in strips
- 1 cup Capers
- 1 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- salt and pepper
- Roll goat cheese into a two-inch roll, wrap in parchment and refrigerate until firm. Cut into eight half-inch thick slices, sprinkle both sides with nuts, and press gently to adhere. Place on parchment-lined sheet plan and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for eight minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Freeze pancetta roll. Using a meat slicer, cut eight slices and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. The pancetta should remain in its disk shape.
- Rinse the Garden Hearts® well, inside and out. Place in a lightly buttered sauté pan and add stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Steam the Garden Hearts® for five minutes, remove with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes to the broth and simmer for five minutes. Add capers and olives; season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place one piece of the steamed Garden Hearts® on a large plate. Add a slice of pancetta and goat cheese in front of the lettuce, and place two generous tablespoons of sun-dried tomato mixture on the side. Sprinkle with a few whole olives and some capers and serve.
Garden Hearts® stay crunchy, even when steamed, and melt on your tongue. Olives and capers add a Mediterranean flair.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA