with Corn and
Spicy Black Beans
- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 3 cups black beans (pre-soaked for 24 hours)
- 3 cups corn, freshly cooked
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, minced including the green
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
JALAPENO VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
- 2/3 cupred wine vinegar
- 2/3 cuplemon juice
- 1/2 tspfresh minced jalapeno
- 1/2 tspfresh ground black pepper
- 1 cuplight, extra virgin olive oil
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Petites and separate into individual leaves. Rinse under cold, running water. Pat gently dry with paper towels, wrap in clean cloth or paper towel, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Rinse beans well, removing any foreign material. Place beans in pot and fill with water. Add salt, cover and simmer for 60 minutes or until beans are tender. Check the water periodically to ensure good coverage. Shock beans with cold water and drain.
- Combine jalapeno vinaigrette dressing ingredients and stir well. In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, red and green onion, cilantro and tomato. Add dressing, toss gently and season with salt to taste.
- Line serving dish with Garden Hearts leaves and place the bean and corn mixture in the center. Garnish with cilantro. To serve, scoop relish into individual Garden Hearts leaves and enjoy.
A great flavor and texture combination! This recipe can easily be adapted as an appetizer or served with grilled fish or chicken breast.
Recipe by: Beat Giger
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; , Pebble Beach, CA