The Sardine Factory’s Iceberg Babies® With Monterey Dungeness Crab
- 6 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 3 fresh red beets, cooked and peeled
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- 18 ozs Dungeness crabmeat
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 12 green asparagus tips, precooked crisp & tender
- Cut off the Iceberg Babies® stem, rinse under cold water, and allow to drip dry completely. Cut a generous cap from the top, removing about 1/3 of the head, and clear out the center to create a bowl. Chop any remaining lettuce.
- Cook beets and peel, using gloves to protect your hands.
- Puree beets in blender or food processor and add egg yolks; then slowly add olive oil and champagne vinegar simultaneously. Season with garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Set dressing aside and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place some of the chopped lettuce on the bottom of each Iceberg Babies® lettuce bowl, top with 3 ounces of crabmeat and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Drizzle with beet vinaigrette and top with the chopped egg mixed with parsley. Garnish the plate with asparagus tips that have been cut in half lengthwise.
At The Sardine Factory, our menu highlights the bounty of the Monterey Bay region. Iceberg Babies® provide a dramatic complement to this Dungeness crab delight. It’s been a tremendous hit with our guests.
Recipe by: Bert Cutino
Co-Founder & COO, The Sardine Factory, Monterey, CA